In 2005, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and was subsequently operated on at Lurie Children's. The operation was a success and I've had no complications to-date over a decade later. I currently serve on the foundation board at Lurie Children's, a truly unique one-of-a-kind hospital that is a huge source of pride for Chicago and the cause for which I am climbing.
- Alexander Pancoe
"There are two types of people who will tell you that you cannot make a difference in this world: those who are afraid to try and those who are afraid you will succeed." - Ray Goforth
Luries Children's Hospital
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago is a charitable 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that relies on philanthropic funding to provide superior pediatric care in a setting that offers the latest benefits and innovations in medical technology and research.
Click Here to learn more.
"There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires." - Nelson Mandela
Brain Tumor Facts & Stats
- A primary brain or spinal cord tumor is a tumor that starts in the brain or spinal cord. This year, an estimated 23,770 adults (13,350 men and 10,420 women) in the United States will be diagnosed with primary cancerous tumors of the brain and spinal cord.
- More than 4,000 children and teens will be diagnosed with a brain or central nervous system tumor this year.
- It is estimated that 16,050 adults (9,440 men and 6,610 women) will die from primary cancerous brain and CNS tumors this year.
- Brain cancer costs more per patient than any other cancer because it is highly debilitating, affects people in their prime and often means family members cannot work if they become caretakers.
- For those aged 35–44, brain cancer accounted for the highest proportion of cancer expenditure.
Lurie Children's relies on philanthropic support to fulfill its lifesaving mission. All donations will be directed toward Lurie Children's pediatric neurology program. Any amount will make a difference! All donations are tax-deductible and will be acknowledged by Lurie Children's Foundation.